single switch ,two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single switch connected to two lights,I have changed one of the lights for a ceiling fan.The problem being when I turn on the light switch the fan comes on and off and the other light stays permently on, can any on help please :cry:

Sponsored Links
When you removed the light, how many wires did you find, and what did you do with them all?

Take a look at the diagrams of lighting circuits in the For Referenc topic and/or the Wiki, and you should see where you went wrong...

There are 3 cables at the ceiling rose I think they are two ceiling cables and one switch cable. Each cable has 3 wires neutral (Black) Live (Red) and Earth.

I have connected the two neutral wires (Black) of the 2 lighting cable with the neutral of the ceiling fan (Blue) in the same terminal .

I have connected all 3 live cables together in the same terminal

I have connected the neutral (Black) of the switch cable with the Live (Brown) of the ceiling fan in the same terminal. Can you please tell me please what I have done wrong

I do worry that you are messing with electrics when it is not immediately obvious to you that if you have 2 lights from 1 switch, then one of those "ceiling cables" must go to the other light, and if it is on all of the time then clearly you have connected it to the incoming permanent live and not the switched live....

Sponsored Links
Sorry i am not great at electrics, but i did realise that one ceiling rose was connected to the other, plus a switching cable. I suppose what I am asking what wires need to be in the same terminals to rectify my situation
please

The cable that goes to the other rose has to be connected to switched live & neutral, not permanent live & neutral.

Great at electrics or not, why could you not see that if you want the light to come on when the fan is on, and go off when the fan is off, that you should connect it to the same terminals as the fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back