Two Twin Dimmer On A Single Spot Strip!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

i'm wondering if someone could help me please.

i have changed all light switches and light units in my new flat but have come across a problem.
All light units are 4 spot strips and switches are rotary dims.
The problem is in the hall way, i have only one light but two switches one at either end. the problem is how do i use a dim switch? I was told i needed a 2 gang (Which i have bought (x2)) so now i have four rotary dims for one light!. I have managed to get the light working but only if one end is permently on. and if i turn this one around the lights flash like a disco :( . Any advice please as i thought (as most of us do) i could sort it.

Please help before i'm fried! :cry:

Beanie

Sponsored Links
You should have been told you needed a 2-way, not a 2-gang.

And you should have bought 2 x 2-ways, not 2 x 2-gang.

And even then, you can only control the amount of dimming from one end at a time, i.e. if switch A is set to dim, then B will turn the lights off, or to the dim-setting of A, and vice versa. If A is off, then B will turn the lights on to whatever setting you like, and vice-versa.

If you want to be able to dim from either end, irrespective of the setting of the other end then you need an intelligent master/slave dimmer like this one

but they do seem to cause a lot of confusion with their connections

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL:

Because of the little sqiggle on the back of the switch??

Thanks "ban all sheds!",

i have placed the order and have thrown the other switches back at Focus. Thanks for the link and your help. much appreciated.

i shall now live a little longer!

Beanie :LOL:

securespark said:
:LOL: :LOL:

Because of the little sqiggle on the back of the switch??
Possibly. However - I don't know what instructions come in the box with the things, as it's a long time since I've bought any new dimmers, but if the document on the TLC website with instructions for those remote dimmers I mentioned is anything to go by it shows the switch terminals, with a wire marked L conected to one and a wire marked LOAD going to a light, on the other side of which is a wire marked N.

How hard can it be?

And anyway - the squiggle (oh look, it's an AC waveform) has an arrow on it, which is a pretty standard way to indicate that something is variable. If people can manage to learn that a button with a vertical line inside a circle is an on/off switch, or one with a right-angled triangle on its side is a volume control, then they can learn that too. [rant]People seem able to put the symbol learning effort into controls for their TVs etc - if they can't be ärsed to do it for wiring accessories then they should not be allowed to own a screwdriver.[/rant]

rant!!

I agree wholeheartedly, I was just taking the mick out of others who have been confused by the sqiggle & arrow!!

if you just want two swith at both ends you use a 2 way (not 2 gang) dimmer at one end and a 2 way switch at the other wire as normal 2 way switching

dimming at both ends requires more lateral thinking

at the end nearer the light fitting you want a dimmer and a 2 way switch

at the other end you want a dimmer and a intermediate switch

if you want a dimmer and a switch on the same one gang plate you can use mk grid plus

take the incoming live to the dimmer at the first switch location
take both the incoming live and the live through the dimmer mentioned above to the other switch location with T&E feed the live that has not yet gone through a dimmer through the dimmer at the second location
take theese through an intermediate switch at the second location and then back too the first location then through a 2 way switch and on to the light

so you have

[code:1]
__________________________dimmer
| |
________|__dimmer__________________intermidiate switch
| _______________________________| |
switch wire from light | |
|_________2 way switch_______________________________| [/code:1]

the way the cuircuit i gave works is pretty simple

the dimmers are wired to the supply

the switches select which dimmer is in use

plugwash said:
dimming at both ends requires more lateral thinking
Either that or the right accessories.

Your idea would work, but it'd be a pain to use. To turn a light off you would first have to select the correct dimmer with the switch, and then work the dimmer.

Even worse, imagine both dimmers set to off, and the switch at your end set to select the other dimmer. You come along, flick the switch. Nothing. You twist your dimmer knob. Nothing. You flick the switch back. Light at last.

It'd drive you bonkers. Well, it'd drive me bonkers.

Why invent a solution which is inferior to one that already exists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back