SINGLE SWITCHED LIGHT TO 2 WAY + ADDING ANOTHER LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of advice would be appreciated for the following.

I have an existing hallway light that I want to add another ceiling rose/light to and add another switch to the circuit so that I end up with 2 lights and 2 switches (both being 2 way).
1. How should the existing switch be wired when changed with the new 2 way switch? Currently it has old red (live) coming in on switched side and black (neutral) on return when switched on.

2. How should the other (new) 2 way switch be wired?

3. How should the two lights (old and new) be wired together and how should the cable be picked up from the existing circuit? I assume the extended circuit cable (from new light fitting) will extend to the new 2 way switch?

4. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you have junction boxes, ceiling roses or terminal blocks in the light switch backbox?

You'll need:
2x 1-gang 2-way switches, a length of 3-core and earth cable sufficient in length to span between the 2 switches, some twin and earth sufficient in length to span between the existing light fixture and the location of the new fitting, some 5/6A terminal blocks, some green&yellow 3mm sleeving and some brown 3mm sleeving.

If you have junction boxes then this should explain things:

Install the new light fitting and using twin and earth cable wire the new light to the old:
Then run 3-core and earth between the 2 switch locations and wire as shown:

At switch location the brown conductor is going to be red in your case, and the blue conductor with a brown sleeve will be the black conductor which you should sleeve with a bit of brown sleeving.

P.S Are you aware of safe isolation procedures, safe zones and testing?

I wish I had the patience to draw such decent images, but I only scribbled on the wobbly lines at the top :LOL: The rest was nicked from the wiki.

Sponsored Links
Thank you davy_owen_88 for your advice.

1 X Ceiling rose

1 X Junction box to existing light switch

The existing light switch backbox is approx 30 years old and has two block terminals. One on top of switch and one on bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back