single way switch....two way room..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im new to all this kinda thing, but i have recently aquired a remote control dimmer switch and want to install it in my bedroom, the only problem is, i have two light switches ( 2way i presume?) for the same light. one is a pull switch other is normal switch. But there is an L1 and L2 and common wires but the new switch on has "0" which i presume is common and "L". i dont mind sacraficing my pull switch, but is it possible to install this romantic little switch?
Any help is greatly appreciated thank you very much
LLol :)

Sponsored Links
yes it is possible,
The easiest way to do it is (with the mains OFF) remove the Existing wall switch (make a note of which colour wire goes where)

Put the wire that was in common in the 0 on the new switch,
Put the wire that was in L1 in the L1 of the new switch

Put a connector block on the third remaining wire, put the switch back (being careful not to trap any wires) switch mains back on.

If the new dimmer will not dim the lights, pull the pull cord switch ONCE
If it does dim the lights undo the little "connector" that holds the string near the switch and store string for later use.

breezer thx for the help, but it didnt work.i didnt use a connector block but insulating tape as i didnt have a c. block, could this be why?
Thx again
LLol

i assumed there to be 3 wires in the existing switch is this so? (if not what do you have, and are you sure the switch you have works, you could try it where there is only one switch to be sure)
Tape will not make any difference

Sponsored Links
wow thx for the fastreply, im beginning to think the switch doesnt work. i do have 3 wires yeh. I'll try it in place of another to check it works. thanks again !

Best not to use insulation tape for your joints. it geneally is only rated at 50v so needs to be 5 layers thick to be safe ish at 240v, it comes unpeeled when it feels like it, and it can't ensure a good mechanical joint. getting a set of connector blocks might stop you from burning with more than just passion. You can always cover that with tape.

Better still use crimps, but not the car type - proper crimpers cost about £25-£40.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back