Wiring in a new switch unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my hallway there are 3 switches to control one light, two I have replaced however the third is causing a problem. The old switch has 4 connectors at the rear L1, L2 at the top and L1, L2 at the bottom. The new switch has L1, L2 at the bottom and Common at the top. The shop assure me it can be done. All tips gratefully accepted
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually a three way lighting circuit is the same as a two way circuit with a change over (intermediate) switch in the middle.

2 way>>
Live from rose (or J-box) to first switch common and out on either L1 or L2.
Last switch, in on L1 or L2, out on common.
When both switches are set to L1 or to L2 the light operates, when they are set differently the light does not operate.

3 way>>
First switch as two way.
Second switch, connects L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. When switched over, it connects L1 to L2 and L2 to L1. Last switch, in on L1 or L2, out on common. Changing any switch will change the status of the light.

You need a change over switch if you have four wires + earths, not a two way switch.

[Edited by amtodd on 11-11-2002 at 12:07 PM GMT]

[Edited by amtodd on 11-11-2002 at 12:34 PM GMT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back