Sink blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts,

Quite strangely my boiler goes into reset mode every time the sink gets blocked. It all started two week ago...

Had tried with all the sink unblocker available in Tesco & Wilkinson but problem still persists...

Even opened the sink "U" pipe but it was totally clear..

My sink drain pipe & boiler outlet pipe meets at some point & have a common outlet. I have started wondering if it the boiler thats causing the block!!! The pressure reading is so always in green.

Please help

Sponsored Links
So when your sink gets blocked the condensate pipe also gets blocked and as the water backs up in the condensate pipe; back at the condensate trap inside the boiler there is a sensor which is quite correctly stopping your boiler from igniting.
I doubt very much that the boiler will be causing the blockage but is itself a victim of your blocked sink waste pipe. Is somebody putting fat down the drain or is the pipe not falling correctly down to the drain?

Normally, I'd reach for the plunger every time but not in this case. The blockage is obviously downstream of the point where the boiler drain comes in so the usual vigorous plunging could send all sorts of crud up into the boiler. :eek: :eek: :eek: Bad plan - unless you can disconnect the boiler drain somewhere and block the open end. :idea: :idea: :idea:

The only other thing I can suggest is to approach the problem from the other end. Does this pipe have an open end? Failing that, is there anywhere along its length that you can get into it? :?: :?: :?:

You must have a blockage further down the waste pipe. maybe on a bend?
screwfix are doing a 9m drain rod set for £30 mite be an idea to have a go yourself ( from the drain cover back)

Sponsored Links
Don't believe this, three weeks without heating and hot water, finaly the engineer called, problem was indeed caused by piping underneath the sink being blocked with grease, :eek: the condensation pipe from the boiler that went into under sink section was getting blocked and causing the condensation to be pushed back to the boiler.no where on google could I find a connection between the two. husband used a handle from a teaspoon to scrape out the grease from the condensation pipe which is approx. 3/4" round in the waste pipe. place a bowl underneath, unscrew, de clog rinse out with hot soapy water and replace. boiler and hot water now all back! :D wonder why the symptoms didn't show any where on google search as L 2 fault can be caused by blocked piping under sink! such a simple solution.

Sue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back