sink blocked with paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have stupidly poured a jamjar full of brushcleaner which has had brushes with satinwood paint sitting in it and every time i unblock the sink it blocks again so i guess i need some kind of solvent or something that will break it down but i dont know what ......my son comes back from working in berlin tomorrow and he plumbed the sink in before he left and i would like to have it sorted before he comes ... HELP

Sponsored Links
take the trap off from underneath the sink and scrape it clear.

If it is already clear it may be the pipes.

What are you using to unblock it? Have you got a sink plunger or pump?

i ve used 3 quarters of a bottle of mr muscle sink unblocker drain gel , the one for standing water. It brought up lots of bits of paint and left them stuck to the side of the sink so ive wiped that off and put the rest of the gel down there in the hope it will brin gup the rest.yes i have a plunger. I was wondering about caustic soda my mum used to chck that down whenever anything went wrong....when you say take the trap off do you mean tje ubend pipe. thanks for the speed of your help

Sponsored Links
yes the u-bend

mr muscle is for kitchen blockages such as fat and soap, I doubt it will be very good on paint.

I would try the plunger and hot water a few times first, then take off the trap. Get a bucket of hot water ready first as you will not be able to use the sink again until the trap is replaced.

U-bends are less prone to blockages than bottlr taps.

A pair of rubber gloves will help you get a grip on the plastic ring when unscrewing. Note that some unscrew upwards and some downwards, if it won't turn, have another look at the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back