Sister joists with a single one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wanted some clarification on this. We have a small hallway that adjoins a porch. There are 3 no. joists from the hallway resting on a stone foundation. All 3 joists have rotted at the ends. Either side of joists 1 and 3 are rooms with concrete floors. The concrete has been installed up against the sides of the joists so sistering them on both sides is not possible without removing the concrete.

I can quite easily get a new joist section against one side of the joists and wrap it in DPC and put it onto the stone foundation but will this be adequate? My intention was to put a 3ft approx piece of C24 timber against the joists, fix with 5 bolts in a W pattern. Is sistering on one side of a joist acceptable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sistering on one side of a damaged/decayed joist is normal practice providing you have sufficient fixings between them (normally something like 3 no.coach bolts over 1 metre overlap). I can't see why, with what mist be a relatively small structure, it would not be possible to simply replace them, one at a time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back