Sistering a joist that is a full 2x8 size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello... Does anyone have experience sistering a joist that is full dimension lumber? I am sistering a joist that is truly 2x8 in a 110 year old home. This is to fix some springiness in the floor above. The question is that since I will be using a 2x8 that is really approx. 1 3/4x 7 1/4, should I put the top of the new board to the top of the floor above, or keep it flush at the bottom. Some additional details on the sistering: the new 2x8 will span the full length of the existing one, and will be supported by a wall on one side and attached to an existing beam via a new joist hanger on the other.

Any insight with this will be ver much appreciated.
thanks!
-dave

Sponsored Links
I'd fit the new one flush with the bottom, it's there to stiffen the joist, not support the 'whateversupstairs' Plus that way it will get a good bearing.

Use half inch bolts with toothed timber connectors and bolts through every 12".

Fix any noggins on the 'older joist side' first, that way you only have to neil through 2" of timber instead of 4.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back