Site insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I took out a building site insurance as we are carrying out major renovation works. Many tradesmen are paid cash. In the unfortunate event of damage or accident and a claim, does anyone know whether the insurance companies will demand to see contracts with the various tradesmen?

Sponsored Links
You will need to prove the tradesman was working on the site at your request and then caused the damage / injury. Unless you can prove you had a contract or verbal agreement ( witnessed ) with the tradesman he can deny ever being employed by you.

The terms of your site insurance should explain how much cover there is for legal action costs if you need to take the tradesman to court.

Last year I took out a building site insurance as we are carrying out major renovation works. Many tradesmen are paid cash. In the unfortunate event of damage or accident and a claim, does anyone know whether the insurance companies will demand to see contracts with the various tradesmen?

Who has been appointed the principal designer and principal contractor?

have you completed a CDM2015 plan - if so the risk assessments and responsibilities should be defined.

What is the insurance, is it an all risks policy - what do the conditions say?

If you are the principal contractor because you are engaging individual contractors, then you need to ensure the tradesmen you employ have public liability insurance and are qualified to work to and are working in compliance with all HSE legislation. I would be especially careful with working at height regulations - don’t allow contractors to alter scaffold nor stick up dodgy towers where they like.

If I understand correctly this insurance is to protect you from employer liability for injury caused by your negligence as an employer.

A contract can be established via a trail of emails witnesses etc. There is no need for a contract to be in written form. Oral contracts once established are sufficient.

obviously written instructions are best.

Sponsored Links

It's always a bad idea to pay cash. So many horror stories. You're leaving yourself wide open in every direction.

Back