Self Build Extension and house insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure that many many people must have had extensions or building works to their homes carried out - what is the situation with home insurances please

Can anyone on here give me some guidance on insurance to my house while we are having building works to have an extension and to carry out some alterations inside carried out?

We have a home insurance policy but i would like to be prepared before I talk with them as one slip of the tongue could cause me problems im anticipating. I would hate to be caught out and end up uninsured or have my policy cancelled - there always seems to be a question 'Have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled' on the application sites so if it would be cancelled the i would rather do it than have the insurers do it (if you understand me)

I am sure that many many people must have had extensions or building works to their homes carried out - what is the situation with home insurances please

It appears from the comparison websites that very few insurers like to quote via comparison sites , the only one seems to be admiral but i have heard bad things about them generally from car insurance quotes so would like to avoid them really

any advice appreciated or any experiences you have had regarding this please share

Sponsored Links
I contacted my insurance company who were very helpful. It is something they come across regularly and are geared up for and provided me with an amended the policy for the duration of the work. There was no additional cost to me, but they excluded any damage caused as a direct result of the building work, which was OK for me as my builder had his own insurance cover.

The only incident was when the builder's digger sliced through the main electrical cable supplying the premises, the cost of repairing it which was covered by his insurance.

Your builder will have insurance that covers any damage they do, what's the problem ?

Sorry, I haven't made it clear that there is no main builder and I am doing much of the works myself and organising trades where necessary - i've edited the thread title to reflect this

#moneystotighttomention

So maybe my question is for previous self builders , all advice welcomed

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is this because your property could be less secure during the works?

Security seemed to be the main issue from our insurer. I maintained a working, lockable external door between the old part of the house and the new extension until the new extension was secure with its own external door. They seemed happy with that. The threat of me burning or knocking the place down never came up (and as it turned out I didn't do that).

Back