Size of reducing bushes for cast iron radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several reclaimed cast iron radiators which I'm installing. The internal thread of the connectors appears to be 1.25" so will require reducing bushes. I'll be using standard 15mm TRVs, etc. so assumed I'd need 1.25" to 1/2" reducers but looking at the valves the external thread seems to be 3/4". So are 1.25" to 3/4" reducers the correct size for standard TRVs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1.25 is 1"bsp & 3/4" is 1/2" bsp

You want 1" x 1/2" bush.

Sponsored Links
How confusing. The actual internal diameter of the nuts on the radiator is one and three-sixteenths (one and five-sixteenths excluding the threads) but I can see that it's to take a one inch pipe.

One other question. For the compression joint against the nipple on the radiator side is it just a matter of tightening up the dry joint or should you use something (jointing paste?)?

These are the bushes I'm about to order, by the way:

http://www.pipefittingsdirect.co.uk/index1.html

Thanks for the advice.

What nut on the radiator.

A photo sounds a good idea about now

Why not just pop into Plumbcenter or Plumbstop and pick them up.

A photo sounds a good idea about now

P1040303.jpg

Why not just pop into Plumbcenter or Plumbstop and pick them up.

I had tried (but then I'd been asking for the wrong size anyway). I see that Screwfix sell 1" x 1/2" reducers but for £1.99 each and as I need six they're still cheaper bought online. (Any reason to use brass rather than galvanized?)

Thats the cap and lining which has to come out,

Cannot see the tail in the photo but the new valve should screw straight in with PTFE or Loctite 55 string.

If they're all like that you dont need any bushes. If you do, plain Iron will do. The rad's iron...

Oh, right. I haven't had much luck undoing nuts so far (although I haven't tried on these particular radiators) but I'll have a go and see what it leaves me with. Will they be left-hand thread?

The tail's 1" diameter, btw.

Thanks.

If the tail that screws into the rad is 1" then you will need a 3/4" x 1/2" bush.

There's a lug inside which you turn it with, and they will all be a normal right hand thread, so looking at the end you turn it anti clockwise to unscrew

There's a lug inside which you turn it with, and they will all be a normal right hand thread, so looking at the end you turn it anti clockwise to unscrew

Right, I see. Is there a special tool I can get for that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back