skim or dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, Im stripped all the tiles off 3 stone/rendered walls in my bathroom leaving a horrible uneven mess. I have one tradesman saying he would like to skim the walls before re-tilling and another saying he would dab boards on before re-tiling. could anyone give me there thoughts on this? One corner of the bathroom will be a shower cubicle. I have looked through many threads but couldnt find advice. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It is very much six of one, and half a dozen of the other - both methods are okay, but Dot and dabbed plasterboard will allow you to start the tiling quicker. Many here will tell you to tank the shower area before the shower tray and tiling go in.

Posting pics of the walls will help.
D&D can sometimes result in condensation behind the boards - some condensation turns into slime mould.
On wet walls its best to render or fix backer board. Dont use plasterboard.
My opinion is not to tile onto skim if possible.

OP, I've just put "tiling bathroom walls" into this forum search facility, and come up with 10 pages of threads?

My opinion is not to tile onto skim if possible

Sorry Vinn, are you suggesting not tiling on to the skim on plasterboard (which reduces the tile weight you can use), rather than just reskimming the original wall.

Sponsored Links
Not to tile onto skim on any surface - however, if the backing is a base coat on a wall, and the quick and simple way would be to smooth off the surface for tile or pull it into plane then go for skimming it.
In my case I would always go back to bare brick or studs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back