skimming a dry lined room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have dot / dabbed my room. I have cut out the sockets locations and the wires are hanging out the holes.

I will be using drylining boxes for the sockets, and the light switch.

Do i fit the boxes before or after the plasterer has skimmed the walls?

Sponsored Links
Most, if not all plasterers would prefer to plaster walls/ceilings without any obstacles in the way if at all possible.

Roughcaster.

Agree with roughcaster,

Push the cables back into the holes. Makes it a LOT easier and a nicer finish if your not trying to trowel around obstacles.

Fit the patrice boxes after the plasterer has finished doing his thing.

Always keep your plasterer happy and ensure YOUR drylining attempt is secure.

I once went to one job and I thought the guy was winding me up. He had attached battons to the walls with 1 nail at the top, 1 in the middle and yes you guessed it, 1 at the bottom.

He then screwed the boards correctly but obviously the battons were moving and flexing all over the place. The nails were pulling out of the walls. I tried to explain that it wouldnt work and he would end up with cracks in every joint.

Like talking to a brick wall.

As an extra comment to what I said earlier, there are times when the boxes would be fitted first and that is when it's a brick/block wall that is to be plastered,.... but because the boxes are sunk into the wall,they are not a problem to work around, as long as you don't forget they are there and fill them up. :confused: A piece of card or paper put into the box usually stops that from happening though. ;)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
As an extra comment to what I said earlier, there are times when the boxes would be fitted first and that is when it's a brick/block wall that is to be plastered,.... but because the boxes are sunk into the wall,they are not a problem to work around, as long as you don't forget they are there and fill them up. :confused: A piece of card or paper put into the box usually stops that from happening though. ;)

Roughcaster.

Fill up boxes, who, us? Don't be ridiculous!! Next thing you'll be saying we cut the electricians wires when he leaves them hanging two foot out of the box. :D :D :D

Yes, the things us plasterers get the blame for Micilin, it's not fair. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

Posted: 11 Mar 2008 16:21 Post Subject: Platering for the first time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never skimmed b4. But want to plater all my walls, and ceilings, I have read a bit a about how to do this, does it make a lot of mess or not,, and is pva needed as coat b4 any plastering is started.. What about sagging plater board( ceiling), can that be plastered over. Does pva help plaster to stick and stay. What is a smooth nice looking plater for a beginer to use. I hope to get bucket on my head.

When the first plaster is added without crashing down into the other flat.. Is it true that one then applies the second skimm about 20 minutes later

Also if a ceiling is slightly craking, (the board) how to deal with that, without changing the actaul boars itself, repair and skim

If a wall is lined and painted, was like that already. Can it be skimmed over as is.

3 If the plaster is mixed well, not to runny or thick ,will it stay on the tool witout landing on my head or spoiling my ikea lamp

[quote="Nicos";p="850781

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to get bucket on my head.

That's just what you need mate, and preferably with plaster in it, then do us all a favour, leave it on there as long as possible to allow the plaster to set.. :LOL: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

There's no respect given on here to blatant, time wasting fools. :mad: You can spot them a mile away.

Roughcaster.

I'm not wasting time, I was in jokey mood no law against this. Better to keep things serious for this......

1.How to plaster a cieling which has crakes and is slighly sagging. can it be done without re -boarding.

2 How to plaster a wall for a beginer, using suitable plaster like 'multi use' , which I have read about.

3. Again is pva , the thing to use to keep the plaster on the wall.

4 How to make the plaster smooth and 'polished afterwards? this is something I have read also,,

5.If a wall is craking anyway, or ceiling will the plaster also crake at some stage? is it better to treat crakes first and how?

Thanks...

My apologies to you Nicos.

Sometimes people on this Forum might not know a "jokey mood" from a wind up. :confused: I, along with many others on here, take great pleasure in trying to pass on any advice or tips that might be of use to any poster. This might be just a few words as a short reply, or sometimes a more detailed one taking some time and thought with it, to try to make it as useful an answer as possible.. Your question/s to be honest looked a total wind up to me and I said so........ However, knowing what I know now, I will give you, along with my apology, a reply to your questions ......

If you've never plastered before, it will be very difficult to take on what you are planning.

PVA is always very important with this kind of job.

A sagging/cracked ceiling would probably be better being re-boarded, a "slightly" sagging one, might pull back up with more screws in, or if possible, get a few more bits of timber put in from above it to strengthen the sheets.

Always repair cracks in ceilings and walls if you are going to replaster them, preparation is always the most important job whatever your doing.

Never plaster over lining paper or any other paper, always remove it and prepare the wall accordingly.

And finally, the best thing to do Nicos is to get a plasterer in to give you some first hand advice. There is much to learn. Good luck with your job. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back