Skimming after taping and jointing - PVA 1st?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Doing up my living room at the minute, and already started to tape and jointed one wall, but think Id like to try skimming it to see how I get on. Would I need to PVA the jointing plaster that Ive already applied before skimming whole wall?

I know with skimming I should have used straight edge boards, but its tapered ones that Ive used. If Im going to skim them, is it ok to tape+joint boards 1st to take out the taper anyway or does skim layers take out taper anyway? Just thinking on the rest of the walls.

thanks,
willie

Sponsored Links
You need to take out the tapers first but it’s just a bit more work. Tape the joints & skim them out level with the boards. Just as it’s going off, damp the tapers down & lay on the first skim coat & level it off; apply a second coat immediately over that, level & finish off. If you’ve applied plaster over the joints, PVA them or it will go of quicker than the surrounding area & give you a hard ridge; if you’ve not plastered before, PVA the whole wall as it will give you a bit more time. I won’t go into technique here as there is lots of info in the archive so have a read up. Don’t expect too much for your first attempt & I just hope the walls aren’t’ too large; you need to work fairly quickly & your technique & understanding of how the materials behave is everything. Have a go, you will find you can either do it or you can’t!

Many thanks Richard!

Ive put tape and 1st coat on tapers and filled up screw holes, so I think prob would be better PVAing whole wall as the screw hole areas would prob go off quicker I presume?!

Also at the window its more of an angle, bout 135 degrees, do the metal corner beads just do 90degrees or can they be bent to suit? Or am I better just using the corner tape with the metal strips in it?

Ive taped and jointed the kitchen ceiling already and that turned out great, onto this room now and I thot Id try skim the walls to see how I get on! I like new challenges! Being on a farm theres plenty of awkward jobs that just need to get done for the 1st time, so not frightned to have a go at new things! As its my own place, I suppose its the best place to experiment!

cheers

Also at the window its more of an angle, bout 135 degrees, do the metal corner beads just do 90degrees or can they be bent to suit? Or am I better just using the corner tape with the metal strips in it?
I like new challenges! Being on a farm theres plenty of awkward jobs that just need to get done for the 1st time, so not frightned to have a go at new things!
I’ve only seen 90 degree beads & I’ve not used corner tape. I’m doing a room at the moment with the 2 walls at a similar angle & will use a 90 degree bead; you can spread the angle by applying even pressure with the bead on a flat surface; I prefer the solid steel (rather than mesh) beads as they hold their shape better.

Talking of new challenges! We actually live next door to a farm & I’ve having one of their geese for a post Christmas family get together; I’m due to pluck & dress it myself this morning & although I’ve done loads of smaller game birds, rabbits etc. I’ve not done anything that large before!

Sponsored Links
Use thin coat stop beads for the angles leaving them 2 - 3mm proud from the edge you are not fixing them to then skim up the edge giving a nice clean straight corner.

Its best to fix them to cover the cut edge that is exposed which will also cover any gap there might be. I hope this makes sense!!!

Get them from builders merchants not diy stores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back