Skimming boards, visible "witness" at join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last 12 to 18 months I've been practising skimming boards (hanging a board in the garage & skimming it). This along with advice from many folks has brought me to a point where I am quite good and have now started to skim the boarded walls in my new extension. For the walls I've used square edge board, but due to the local supplier running out of this, I used taper edge on the ceilings.

All joints have been taped with mesh-tape.

Both walls & ceilings are coming out fine, but on the ceilings where the join is I'm getting a shallow witness mark where the joins are. I am guessing that this is due to the thicker plaster shrinking more in these areas?

Should I first skim over the tapered joins & let it dry for 20 minutes or so, before then applying the first skim coat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should I first skim over the tapered joins & let it dry for 20 minutes or so, before then applying the first skim coat?

tape and skim the joints and as you said, let it take up then go over the full ceiling in one swoop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back