Which plasterboard & how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a long time (15 odd years) since I used plasterboard, so please refresh/re-educate me!

Ceilings. Tapered edge board or square edge? Tape? Skim the whole boards or just the joins? (This is in a bathroom so I'm guessing skim the entire ceiling?)

Stud walls. Again, tapered or square edge? Tape? As these wil be papered I'll have the lot skimmed.

Brick/block walls. From memory, paint the wall with PVA & let it dry. Then paint again & let it tack before bonding the boards? What ratio should I mix the PVA?

Sponsored Links
Use square edge boards & get the whole ceiling skimmed; taper edge with skimmed joints will never look as good & you will have the same problem this OP is having //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137995
Stagger the joins & fix with screws not nails, tape the joints & rough fill the screw heads prior to skimming; same procedure with stud walls.

The description you’ve given for PVA on block walls is when plastering; you don’t really need to PVA new block/brickwork before Dot & Dab with drywall adhesive. It won’t do any harm though & will seal an old wall if it’s dusty or crumbly; PVA mix in this case is 1:5 (PVA/water) & let dry overnight; if the surface needs bonding, apply a second coat but reduce this to 1:3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back