Skimming Ceiling...A Day Later....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have skimmed my ceiling - it was old plaster that had partially collapsed. I did a bonding layer in the repair patch to level woith the original lath & plaster ceiling. Then i PVA'd the whole ceiling and applied the 2 coats of skim (multi-finish). near the end i dolloped a big load into my eye! and after a wash rushed the last bit of the ceiling and did not get around to doing a final polish trowelling before goint to A&E to get my eye properly cleaned :(

Today, i notice that there are some areas that are not up to standard due to me not finishing the polish coat :( how can i rectify these areas? should i just mix up a small amount of skim and re skim the bad areas and the polish?

I hope the photos show the areas well enough...

Thanks

Eddy

Attachments

• IMAG0819.jpg
    IMAG0819.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG0821.jpg
    IMAG0821.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0823.jpg
    IMAG0823.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
We've all done that. If it were me I'd PVA the ceiling and re-skim. Quicker than messing around with it.

thanks Joe-90 - i struggled so much the first time...i want to avoid doing it again!

Eddy

In that case scrape off any high spots, pva where the hollows are and use Wickes plasterboard adhesive as a type of plaster filler. Allow to dry and sand lightly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Joe-90. I have some B&Q ready mixed joint filler for some plasterboard areas - i will use that after a light sanding of the hight spots, then sand after it has dried...

Eddy

Sounds good. Don't get dust in your eyes when sanding.

Happened to me once luckily there was another spread onsite who finished my ceiling for me while I went to hospital , looking at your photos you can see you struggled with it, looks like you have a lot of snagging to do not just on the last bit all depends how fussy you are best tip I can give a novice is use a sponge float and plastic trowel if you wanted to go again ,there's an awful lot of filler your going to be using on that lid

my other thought was to get a professional in - how much would i be looking at? 3.5x4.5m ceiling

Eddy

my other thought was to get a professional in - how much would i be looking at? 3.5x4.5m ceiling

Eddy
II would have been happy to do that for £150 if I was local
Saying that I traveled 120 miles once to skim a lid , sponge up and plastic trowel finish is the order looks like you have the skills to do it this way, I guided another beginner about 6 years ago how to use the sponge float on YouTube and he got cracking results he was always on here and another site asking questions

Last edited:
i think i might try the filler on the areas that i am not happy with, and if it still doesn't look great, call a professional
thanks
Eddy

The above is sound advice, and will obviously do the trick but given your efforts pre-accident i'd go with the suggestion that you get a professional in to skim over.
Your edges where the ceiling meets the walls also looks rough - a plasterer could deal with that as well.

FWIW: the light fitting looks as tho it could do with replacing - dont mess with it change it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back