Skimming ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My bathroom ceiling has some kind of paint texture on it which I want to get rid of. I think that the texture is created by the paint itself. There is no paper underneath or anything like that.

Basically I want to put a thin layer of plaster on the ceiling to make it a nice flat surface.

So my question is... can I just plaster directly onto the painted surface or is there something I should do to prepare the painted surface first?

Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
Scrape off any high spots then PVA The ceiling. Beware skimming a ceiling is a lot harder than it looks. :rolleyes:

As brist says, scrape, PVA and then skim.

I find though that when re-skimming painted walls and ceilings, especially if the paint is silk, that the plaster can slide around and not really bond that well to the surface. I now PVA, allow to dry and then PVA again and then skim it once it starts to go tacky. On shiny surfaces it can take a while for the PVA to dry.

Regards

Fred

Scrape off any high spots then PVA The ceiling. Beware skimming a ceiling is a lot harder than it looks. :rolleyes:
Can anyone explain this in just slightly more depth?
How does one PVA a ceiling before applying the plaster?
Am I just being a bit simple?

Sponsored Links
You could consider boarding it over - scrape off high spots, find your joists and tack up 12mm plasterboard then all you have to tape and plaster are your joints. Instant flat surface and should be dry enough to start decorating next day.

I do a lot of these, quickest and easiest method of getting rid of artex and, if you put up coving you don't even have to tape the wall/ceiling joints.

14th of May 20007. Bet he's sorted it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back