Skimming nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people need advice

So I found a plasterer on check a trade he quoted me £2150 to skim two bedrooms including cellings upstairs hallway and downstairs hallway including celling . I am not sure if this is a good price as he was the first quote had good reviews so I accepted .

He has done the job and I am very unhappy with the work . There is skim splatter all over the walls. All of the edges are rough to touch. Small gaps in between door frames where he skimmed rough to touch .

I don't want him back in my property as this is clearly the best he can do

Question is when I sand down his poor work in the corners with 120 grit paper. The corners become even but still feel rough to touch. Will this be a issue after mist coat or should I put a light coat of filler on top

Also on some of the walls there are these indents in the skim. Do I sand back or fill with filler

Also what filler do you guys recommend ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Let it dry for a few days.
Then use a sanding pad to rub the surface without going too mad.
Mist coat (follow manufacturer's instructions, not some blokes on the internet) and then have a look.
Most of those imperfections will be gone.
Use sandpaper and toupret filler to fix whatever you're not happy with.
If you post pictures we could advise better.

As above
120 or 180 grade sanding using block to keep it flat.
Damp sponge around edges of filler to blend I find helps

So I have attached images . I am absolutely gutted. Was the price he gave me fair ????

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_060741261.jpg
    PXL_20230130_060741261.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 106
  • PXL_20230130_060050472.jpg
    PXL_20230130_060050472.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20230130_060108264.jpg
    PXL_20230130_060108264.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20230130_060540484.jpg
    PXL_20230130_060540484.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20230130_060038207.jpg
    PXL_20230130_060038207.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Those pics are poor quality themselves. The skimming looks poor as well. Have you tried a straight edge on any of it to see how flat he's got it.
And alas with all those online sites there is little or no verification of trades by the site. Next time, ask neighbours or friends if they know a good whatever-you-need.

Judging by the pictures, he's not a plasterer.
Not even a diy plasterer.
I don't plaster because it requires experience and specific skills but I would've surely done a better job.

Good grief.
Take some sanding with a block off wood down that door edge. What's that easyfill?
What plaster was on originally? Lime plaster maybe?

Oh dear, but don't panic, it's surprising what one can do with a tub of Wickes Plaster Skim and Repair. Actually doing some myself at present having removed wall paper and found a few dings and small cracks underneath. I use a blade around three inches wide or a plastic spreader arond six inches wide for larger areas. Keep it soft and "creamy" by adding a little water in the tub if it starts to get a bit dry. It adheres well and with a bit of light sanding will be really smooth. Helps to practice a bit until you get the hang of how to butter it on - mrs says it's like icing a cake, if that helps. Done it lots of times myself over the years so fairly skilled at it now. Having a go is not going to cost you much is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back