Skimming, amateur needs guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some guidance, about 5 years ago I did some skimming, it was a house I was renting and to be honest wasn’t happy with the finish, it was my first attempt and with a bit of sanding it was ok for renting , well I didn’t get any complaints about it.

I seem to recall me main problem was with the second coat of skim, most went on ok but started to get `holes` and when I tried to flatten/fill in it went from bad to worse. I eventually filled them in after it was all set and sanded flush.

Moving on 5 years and recently moved house......

Stripped the wallpaper off and the walls are chipped, gouges and pin holes, now I know why it was papered in heavy embossed paper 
I started filling in with a standard filler but although much better was taking forever and needing sanding in between, I thought about skimming but remembered my last attempt. So having plenty of filler I though stuff it and mixed a load and applied in broad sweeping arcs, going over it where necessary to flatten and spread it out similar to how I used the skim last time. Lo and behold I was more than happy with the finish apart from where I tried to `feather` the edges as it seemed to dry out and go patchy.

Anyhow I am now thinking that one issue I may have had when skimming was being too finicky and trying too hard, with the filler this time I was more relaxed and prepared to line the walls with lining paper if it failed.
Could it be that my more relaxed attitude helped to apply (ok filler) a better application, and what would cause the `holes` in my previous skimming attempts?
My DIY skills for most things are good and if patching a hole can get an invisible mend can repair woodwork, paint, wallpaper etc, possibly its the attention to detail that screwed my skimming attempts.

I am thinking of having another attempt at skimming as I still have a couple of walls to do.
Thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of having another attempt at skimming as I still have a couple of walls to do.
Thoughts appreciated.

Using a filler trowelled on over large areas is not the right tool for the job - you should continue your quest to plaster!
1) Get yourself some plasterboard and have a go on it in the garage for example.
2) Skim goes on in two coats (or should). If new to it, you can do each coat from a separate mix which gives you more time.
3) You don't need each coat to be perfectly flat as you lay it on. It is the trowelling up (or polishing) that is done on the final coat when it has started to set that gives it the smooth finish. Note - not troweled up too much produces a glassy finish that will not take paint!
4) If only a couple of walls to do, it may probably not be worth investing in a lot of expensive tools e.g. a proper plaster mixer.
Instead could try to borrow or even hire. A stainless steel trowel is usually easier than a cheapo one, but is not dead cheap. There are also DIY plastering courses you can do which will give you a head start. Depends what you want to spend.

Read up on this forum on other posts and the wiki, there's a lot of info here.

Personally, I have just renovated my first house (to live in) and have stripped all the walls, reboarded and skimmed with multifinish.

The results are very pleasing and everyone has said how well it has come out.

The only info I got was all from asking on this site and looking at a few vids on youtube.

I'm sure some pros will come on and tell you what you're doing wrong much better than I can, but as this is the first reply thought I'd give you summat to go on.

Firstly get a decent 'trowel' - I bought a Marshalltown for around £30.

I then used multifinish as opposed to board finish as it take a little longer to go off and as a beginner, you need the extra time to get it right.

The biggest secret is to put it on, get it 'ok' and then leave it for a while - messing with it too much is the worst thing you can do.

1st coat mix up fairly thick.

After around 20mins or so as its starting to 'turn' just flatten it off a little and make sure its as level as possible.

Then mix up a 2nd coat - I make this fairly thin so it goes on thinner and also gives a nice finish.

That should take up the lows and again, put it on, get it ok looking then leave it.

Same again, when its going off then trowel it so its a decent finish.

I then use a wet brush to do the corners (really works well).

Then about 15mins after that I wet the wall with a sprayer (I do it fairly liberally but most say use sparingly) and use the trowel to 'polish' the wall.

Job should be a good un.

Leave a week or so and seal with watered down paint (about 30% watered). Couple of quick coats.

Then can be painted after this properly.

I think you may have gone wrong with messing too much, then bubbles are prob where its lifting off the wall.

Only other bit of advice is if you are doing brickwork/blocks etc and haven't boarded - or even if youre going over old plaster, then you need to PVa it to reduce suction otherwise it will dry too quick and fall off or look a right mess. Water down PVA: 4water - 1pva.

Hope this helps. Watch a few vids on youtube just so you can see the 'knack too' really helped me as words on a screen sometimes arent enough to explain techniques.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. Yes I think with hindsight and after watching some of the videos I messed around too much.

Sponsored Links
lots of good onfo there, if its something you enjoy and plan to do again id invest in a marshall trowel permashape £40-ish but youll be amazed how much better the finish will be especially if a beginner. Youll learn to love your trowel and guard it like a' hawk' clean it after every job so its gleaming and dont let anyone borrow it...... sad arnt i :LOL:

lots of good onfo there, if its something you enjoy and plan to do again id invest in a marshall trowel permashape £40-ish but youll be amazed how much better the finish will be especially if a beginner. Youll learn to love your trowel and guard it like a' hawk' clean it after every job so its gleaming and dont let anyone borrow it...... sad arnt i :LOL:
When I used to do a bit. I invested in a decent trowel - it's a thing of joy and seems to make you caress that there plaster. Mmmm, lovely :LOL: ;)

I am currently using a Ragni 318, think it cost around £12.
If I get on ok and feel I am getting the technique next attempt (I have other walls to do) I will invest in a better one.

Question should the corners be slightly rounded? (by me)

Dont worry about savouring and looking after tools, nobody in this house dare look at them let alone touch them, and some are cheapos but they are my treasures.

Ragni was ok. Definitely round the corners off IMO (use a brick wall ;) ) Honestly, a bigger and better preworn-in trowel is better than sex. Well, it is in my house nowadays :cry:

ditto!

Plus the smell and touch of fresh plaster beats the smell and touch of fresh ..... anyday :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back