Skimming old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a old house and a skinner came around saying he will put some special mesh on wall and skim over it. This will stop cracks and it’s used for walls with more mevement(old houses). Is this true?

Sponsored Links
But is he referring to scrim tape on the cracks, or to the fibreglass mesh they use in External Wall Insulation. If it's scrim tape and just odd cracks, then possible okay, but if the cracks are from movement, then no; you need to find the cause of the movement first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I’ll find out. He said houses this age(a oldish terrace house) you need this to stop cracks. I don’t think he meant scrim tape.

So what is the best solution. To take it to brick and dot and dab it?

Sponsored Links
Well you wouldn't need to take it back to brick to dot and dab it, but if there's movement, then the plasterboard will crack at the joints, so you need to find out what's really going on first. Pictures please - possibly inside and out.

If he's suggesting meshing the whole wall, then I'd get a couple more guys in to look at the job.

Knock the lot off your wall, put ex-panding metal over any bad cracks'
scratch coat it ,float it, skim it...jobs a good un'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back