skimming over artex - the "yorkshire" way !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well ok - today a couple of friends and i started the living room and after much discussion about what to do with the hideous ceiling (re-broad, or PVA and skim) we decided for the latter.

Well I'd popped out to fulfil their urge for scottish eggs, and when i returned, they had put on the first layer of skim... looking up, a bubble was forming, and even as we looked more and more and more started coming.

One of the lads decided to scrape off the bubbles and then deal with it from there (what a disaster!)

But as he scraped the trowel across the bubble, basically a huge section of the ceiling including the artex peels off... so we ended up scraping all the new plaster off the ceiling - trying to get it down before it all set rock-solid. Artex and plaster covering the floor (of course loads of quips about "the carpet will come up a treat love" and "we could skim over the carpet" etc etc!)
anyway... It turned out some joker has artexed ON TOP of wallpaper ...

We decided to christen this style of plastering "the yorkshire way"

"Slap it on, scrape it off again, and folk off."

After the whole day we are back to square one, minus that sodding artex!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
well duh, Artex looks lovely while it's in fashion, but can be a nightmare to get off again... UNLESS you do it over wallpaper! We yorkshire folk have known that for generations!

I'm from Yorkshire too and I used that polyfilla ceiling smoother to put over the rock solid textured paint - it would have been quicker to replace the whole ceiling. After using two boxes of the stuff - I was still sanding down and looked like the abonimable snowman. It's still not good - grooves (but better than the cake icing finish) at least bits of wet cotton wool don't stick to it - but next time I would rip the ceiling down completely for the amount of effort it took.

just a quick tip to anyone reading this rip it down check everything ie wiring plumbing bang some insulation in reboard and skim much better job.if your too tight to do it properly 2 coats pva smooth using bonding coat then skim.p s make sure all boards are secure if not screw up

I thought everyone artexed over wall paper and skimmed over it and also rendered over it.. and tiled over it..What happens if you want to skim a wall and there is wall paper on it? Dont you just skim over it I do!!!!And the best base for tiles is "Everyone knows " Wall-paper......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back