Skimming over damaged drywall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have started removing some old wallpaper to find that it was drywall rather than a skimmed wall.

The problem now is quite a bit of the paper from the plaster board is damaged and uneven. :cry:

Is it possible to just get someone to re skim the walls even though the paper is damaged or is there anything else that needs to be done.

I have considered papering it but I think there would be just as much work trying to fill the damaged parts to get a smooth finish.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the damaged areas mainly where the paper coating of the platerboard came off with the wallpaper, some are quite long strips and some just little patches.

I was wondering if it can be treated with PVA or something to seal the paper and then just get someone to skim it all.

the damaged areas mainly where the paper coating of the platerboard came off with the wallpaper, some are quite long strips and some just little patches.

I was wondering if it can be treated with PVA or something to seal the paper and then just get someone to skim it all.

You can seal it up well, day before , then again before plastering, scrim or mesh it, then plaster.

A tight coat of bonding over the whole lot might be helpful.

As an aside , If ever there was a case for plastering instead of tape n jointing, this is it.

Sponsored Links
excellent point Mic!

agree on the PVA and course of action based on the description from the OP.

if it's only a small area and your plasterer is going to charge you a full day you may as well get him to put a tight coat of bonding on it in the morning too, will still need treating with PVA regardless of which route you take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back