Wallpaper stripping damaged skim-layer, what now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have had something of a (common?) disaster when stripping wallpaper - the skim layer of plaster also came off. :oops:

Everything was fine on the walls. The problems started when I came to the bay window which is of wood construction. Here the skim layer came away easier than the paper! The plaster had already cracked in a lot of places, so rather than try to patch it up I have resolved to remove all the dodgy skim before continuing.

Beneath the skim is Redland Wallboard and it looks in good condition.

What do I need to do the the wallboard in order to wallpaper onto it? Do I need to reinstate the skim layer? Or can I just prime the wallboard and paper it?

Many thanks,
Jonathan

Sponsored Links
If i were you, i'd get a plasterer to re-skim the wallboard again. It wouldn't be a big job if it's just the bay window area. Get a couple of quotes though.

Roughcaster.

You can either paper directly or use a lining paper first.

Sponsored Links
I am keen to finish the job, so I'd rather not get it re-skimmed if it is not really necessary. Please forgive my ignorance, but what does skimming wallboard achieve? Is it primarily to sort out the joins between boards? Other than the joins it looks like a good surface to work with.

The area in question is very small, about 3.5 square metres. If I did want to get it skimmed, can anyone offer a ball-park cost estimate?

If I just want to paper on to the wall-board is it a good idea to seal it with thinned primer? I think I read that somewhere.

Cheers,
Jonathan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back