Skimming over textured paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My son has recently bought a house and is busy pulling it apart and renovating it and we have a couple of plastering-related questions that I hope you can help with.

One of the rooms has textured paint on the walls and it seems that the best option to get rid of it is to have it skimmed.

So, with this in mind, a friend of my son has recommended a rookie plasterer. He is actually getting towards the end of his training, but has not yet done too much unsupervised work.

He has looked at the job and is concerned that if he skims over the textured paint, it will flake-off as he moves his float over it. He does not think that PVA will help, but believes that there is a stronger adhesive called Greening - he thinks? Does anybody know the proper trade name for this stuff and does this sound like the best solution?

The second question that he raised was about the plasterboard ceiling. He says that it looks like older-style board (yellowish, rather than grey) and he thinks that it will absorb too much of the moisture in the skim and crack too quickly. He is suggesting that we replace the platerboard ceiling.

Does this sound right to you guys. Any comments and opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My son has recently bought a house and is busy pulling it apart and renovating it and we have a couple of plastering-related questions that I hope you can help with.

One of the rooms has textured paint on the walls and it seems that the best option to get rid of it is to have it skimmed.

So, with this in mind, a friend of my son has recommended a rookie plasterer. He is actually getting towards the end of his training, but has not yet done too much unsupervised work.

He has looked at the job and is concerned that if he skims over the textured paint, it will flake-off as he moves his float over it. He does not think that PVA will help, but believes that there is a stronger adhesive called Greening - he thinks? Does anybody know the proper trade name for this stuff and does this sound like the best solution?

The second question that he raised was about the plasterboard ceiling. He says that it looks like older-style board (yellowish, rather than grey) and he thinks that it will absorb too much of the moisture in the skim and crack too quickly. He is suggesting that we replace the platerboard ceiling.

Does this sound right to you guys. Any comments and opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Paul
the green he is talking about is bondit from unibond or you can use cheaper alternatives such as wba (wickes bonding agent) or blue grit, but really pva should suffice, also about the ceilings if he does his background prep properly the skim should be fine, dont go taking good solid ceilings down for nothing ive never heard of such a thing, if he thinks the ceiling is going to suck the he must seal it proper,
i know he is a rookie and we all have to start somewhere and where better than your m8s new house? my advice would be to let him do a wall or 2 and see if your happy with it b4 letting him loose

good advice Steve!

WBA might be worth considering for the textured paint if he's really concerned, hard to say without seeing it though, depends really on how it reacts when wet, if it softens and wants to come off the wall then PVA will make it do the same, WBA or Bond-it wouldn't.

as for the ceiling, i'm right with Steve on this, PVA to seal it up if it's old.

Agree with the guys.

my advice would be to let him do a wall or 2 and see if your happy with it b4 letting him loose

Ceilings are harder than walls - so maybe a couple of test walls will give him a better chance to impress

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter what colour or how old the plasterboard is, as long as it's sound and well fixed to the joists etc, with the right prep, it'll skim no problem. It's no good taking down an old, but perfectly good plasterboard ceiling, and replacing it with new plasterboard, just to suit a rookie plasterer. Older plasterboard has far more strength in it than the new, softer stuff you get nowadays. I suppose as a rookie plasterer, he'll be worried about making a mess, but with the right prep, he should be ok.

gwt him on here to ask as many questions as he likes. as for textured paint, run a scraper over it, this will get off any bigger chunks and also point out anywhere it is flaking, it may well steam off anyways. If he is concerned about suction on any background then he only has to pva it, let it go off and then ova again and skim on it while the 2nd coat is still tacky.

Maybe a daft question but are you sure its textured paint not Artex? The only reason I say this is if you start sanding it or rubbing it down, as some old artex has got asbestos in it..Never can be too careful ;) If it is he can still skim over it anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back