Textured Paint - how to remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, Firstly i've just registered, and im a DIY novice :(

I have a plasterer coming tomorrow morning to skim my bathroom ceiling. Its a small bathroom 2x2 probably.

The guy who put the ceiling up made a real mess, and it looked worse than it did than before he started. Anyway we decided to cover it up some some kind of textured paint paint which was full of sand and water. It didnt stick very well and looked honking after doing about a quarter of the room gave up, bit the bullet and decided to phone another plasterer to skim it for me. He says i need to get this stuff off first. What the best way to do this? Ive tried sandpaper but it takes for ever, any better ways of doing this?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Can you actually pull/scrape it off easily? A steamer & scraper is probably your best bet & I use this method to remove old Artex coatings which I prefer to do rather than skim over. You can, however, skim over practically anything as long as it’s securely stuck to the wall/ceiling. Difficult call without actually seeing it but I would have thought he could have skimmed over it with the right preparation.

Did your original plasterer skim the ceiling or just put the boards up? Did you put the paint onto bare boards or bare plaster?

Can you actually pull/scrape it off easily? A steamer & scraper is probably your best bet & I use this method to remove old Artex coatings which I prefer to do rather than skim over. You can, however, skim over practically anything as long as it’s securely stuck to the wall/ceiling. Difficult call without actually seeing it but I would have thought he could have skimmed over it with the right preparation.

Did your original plasterer skim the ceiling or just put the boards up? Did you put the paint onto bare boards or bare plaster?

Thanks Richard.

I managed to scrape this all of flast night, with a little help to save some time with a mate. I too thought the plasterer would have skimmed over it no problem, but he did ask for it to be removed first. Got there in the end, hopefully il go home to see a proper bathroom ceiling for the first time in two years. And prey upstairs dont have another leak :)

Hi Richard,

yup, me again! ;)

never thought about steaming artex off, how well does this work whn painted with bathroom/kitchen paint?

does it not damage the plaster board at all if you're over zelous with the amount of steam?

Thanks AGAIN!

Sponsored Links
never thought about steaming artex off, how well does this work whn painted with bathroom/kitchen paint?
I will skim over it but prefer to remove it if possible; costs a little more in time but gets rid of it & any possible asbestos content with the old stuff once & for all. Works best with stipple, scrape off the pointy bits & this breaks the paint surface allowing the steam in. Comes off in two layers, vinyl paint goes all rubbery & peels off first, if your lucky in big sheets; this allows the steam to get at the Artex underneath. Being water soluble it softens up easily & scrapes off in flakes (no dust) as opposed to the plaster underneath which isn’t. Sometimes any paint underneath the Artex comes off a bit as well but it’s no problem, just PVA prep the day before & then prep again before skimming.

does it not damage the plaster board at all if you're over zealous with the amount of steam?
Assuming it’s been skimmed, no; although absorbent, plaster isn’t water soluble & you’d have to really go some with the steamer to damage the plaster board underneath.

i've just done a job recently in which the clients had wallpapered woodchip onto plasterboard, had to steam and scrap it off which did bring alot of the paper coat of the plasterboard. The boss told me just to PVA it put a coat of multi finish on and reskim as normal the next day.

That's the type of job i'm doing this week Jabas,,, but pva, with bonding coat and multi finish.

Roughcaster.

didn't bond it. Put neat PVA on waited to go tacky and put a coat of multi finish, PVA again in the morning and put 2 coats of multi. Looked at the wall the other day after joiners had finished with skirtings etc and the wall looks fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back