Skimming the brown side of gyproc wallboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They say assumption is the mother of all cock ups

I have always been advised and therefore assumed that the ivory side of wallboard was for direct decoration and the brown side for skimming. Standing back to admire my recently boarded ceiling prior to having a plasterer in to skim it I have noticed the words "Plaster other side only" facing me -------Doh!

I don't have the heart to take it all down again. Can anyone advise whether you can still skim the brown side and if so what's the risk in doing so?

Sponsored Links
It used to be the trend that the brown side was plastered and the ivory side was tape jointed.
This has now changed to ivory side face out on both application, the one directive I can give you is that British Gypsum state that the brown side must not be plastered. But to be honest I don't think it makes a difference.
Have you screwed the boards up?

isnt it to do with the paper and the way it absorbs moisture?
pva the ceiling then skim,but if in doubt contact your spread and see what he has to say about it?

guy who taught me was one of many spreads (so he told me) that was called in to BG years ago about this.

the brown paper was originally intended for skimming but apparently a lot of failures/problems were happening, when this got back to BG they invited a load of guys to go in and help them sort it.

turned out the ivory side was better than the brown for skimming...and the rest as they say is history.

the 2 papers do have different properties and have had trouble with pimples when skimming brown side before (customer boarded his own room) PVA will normally sort it out though.

Sponsored Links
As the others have said, a dousing with PVA & it’ll be fine. It'll give your spread a chuckle though so get your self a new pair of glasses before you do any more boarding out :LOL:

Thanks Guys

Your advice has been helpful.

I think I'll face the humiliation of having to admit my mistake to the spread and PVA it rather than the wrath of the wife for putting up with all the aggro associated with re-boarding it.

My one saving grace is that I have screwed the boards up.

I wouldn’t do anything by way of prep. work without speaking to your spread first; he may say OK, he may not. I always prefer to do my own prep. as it’s the only way I can be sure it’s been properly done & if anything goes wrong it can only be my fault; if you do the prep & it goes wrong, he could blame you & walk away ;) You won’t really save anything on cost either.

Ah but did you screw the boards up correctly :LOL:

They say assumption is the mother of all cock ups

I have always been advised and therefore assumed that the ivory side of wallboard was for direct decoration and the brown side for skimming. Standing back to admire my recently boarded ceiling prior to having a plasterer in to skim it I have noticed the words "Plaster other side only" facing me -------Doh!

I don't have the heart to take it all down again. Can anyone advise whether you can still skim the brown side and if so what's the risk in doing so?
i was always told the reason for not skimming brown side down was due to the overlapping of the paper on the edges as it caused a problem of peeling

I had been taught that the ivory paper was slighlty thicker than the brown and therefore gave you more time skimming.
But I guess based on the wide ranging discussions, it may only have been an opinion after all ;)

I was told that the ivory side was thicker and of a different strength paper - this means that clout nails (boo to them!) and screws are less likely to rip through them and thus provide a stronger attachment to studwork/joists.

The ivory paper is stronger & provides better support for screw/nail heads & is far less absorbent, hence the need for sealing the back with PVA. As long as there are no peeling bits, it shouldn’t delaminate when it’s plastered; this can cause problems on either side & cut away any loose bits; I wouldn’t like to risk sticking tiles of any weight on it though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back