Skirting Board and Door Frames Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I am in the middle of refurbishing my living room and I am getting it replastered next week so in the process of removing skirting board and door frames etc but it is prooving to be very difficult

First the skirting boar isnt very deep and actually goes down the back of the floorboards, I think it is actually in two bits, the actual skirting board and then a bead running in front of it, I am using a crow bar but struggling to get the skirting to break off cleanly and just splits and causes havoc, also the door frames run down the back of the door bases and because of the way I have to remove the door frames I have slightly damaged the door base.

Will it be better to replace the door bases also and how big of a job is this to do?

Here is a rubbish picture showing what I am talking about.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1246/image569.jpg

Thanks for any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
Confused as to the problem? what are door bases? :?:
You can cut the skirting on the wall to reduce length removed and splitting.

You can also try punching the nails holding the skirting right through the timber to loosen it, or failing that there's always the option of just trashing the skirting and replacing with new.

You can also try punching the nails holding the skirting right through the timber to loosen it, or failing that there's always the option of just trashing the skirting and replacing with new.
I assumed he was trashing the skirting, unlikely to be able to re use and most would replace.Don't see how you can knock nails thru they are likely to be cut nails into brickwork which can' be knocked thru.

Sponsored Links
It is likely the skirting is fixed to wooden plugs in which case it is quite possible to punch through. However, as you say if he is trashing it, it is academic really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back