Skirting board query!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I’m in the process of purchasing a property that needs some renovating. In some places the walls sortve merge in to the skirting boards (pics attached).

Could this be sorted by skimming the wall or would the skirting boards needs to be replaced?

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• 4701DC41-CE20-4F89-8416-144B52D95799.png
    4701DC41-CE20-4F89-8416-144B52D95799.png
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • 41B255BD-47E4-404E-AD11-FC1263D327D0.png
    41B255BD-47E4-404E-AD11-FC1263D327D0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Someone has skimmed the walls already with the skirting in place, and applied it far too thick in some areas.

Skimming the walls will make it worse.
Replacing the skirting won't fix it either as the walls are all out of true, you can either have straight skirting and wonky walls as you have now, or have the skirting bent out of shape to match the walls.

You will probably find they plastered around the sockets, switches and light fittings as well. Typical slapover job to hide a multitude of problems.

Sponsored Links
what would be the best solution for smoothing the walls out?
Hack it all off and start again with new plaster and new skirting & architraves.

Or for less mess with the disadvantage of making the room slightly smaller, use driwall adhesive to bond plasterboard over the whole lot, skim and fit new skirting & architraves.

If doing either of those, all electrical wiring should be 100% replaced before the new boards / plaster is installed.
If the rooms are large enough, adding internal insulation would be something to consider as well.

Thanks Flameport. I wasn’t planning on doing such a huge overhaul of the space as it is generally in good decorative order.

Is there not a less obtrusive solution?
Why does the electrical wiring need to be replaced?

No there isn't, you live with the crappy standards it's been built to or pay/DIY to have them fixed. I would like to take this opportunity to say that as you get older these crappy problems diminish. But I'd be lying. :ROFLMAO:

To hide it a bit you could fit some half round trim along the top of the skirting and pack it out in places

Get a bolster chisel and tap out the lip of plaster around the top of the skirting, then fill in the gap to level it off. No fuss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back