sticking skirting to old crumbly wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We removed a built in wardrobe to reveal some missing skirting.

We will buy some new skirting board attach to the wall, but I'm wondering what the best method is to do this?

As you can see,l the wall is pretty broken up, do I need to do anything to prepare it first?

What glue is best to use?

Also there are some wooden joists in the wall, should I also stick a nail through the skirting into these joists?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200407_085049.jpg
    20200407_085049.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 453
  • 20200407_112607.jpg
    20200407_112607.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 531
Sponsored Links
Those are wooden wedges hammered into gaps in the bricks that the original skirting would have been nailed to.

Just drill through the skirting and into the brick and fix the skirting with a screw and rawlplug.

You will need to pack out the back of the skirting where the plaster has crumbled away so that the skirting sits straight.

ok thanks, so would I need to pack out the wall with some more plaster?

If I drill through the skirting how do people cover up the screw in the skirting face?

cheers!

A very superior method of fixing skirting is to screw battens to the brickwok (hack off any plaster in the way) such that the top of the upper batten is level with the desired top of the skirting; and the front face of the batten is positioned so that the skirting will project the desired amount from the wall. 18mm batten is ofen a good size. You need a second batten about 18-30mm above floor level.

Being long, you can screw the battens into sound brickwork, they will bridge over any gaps or crumbly bits. You can pack them out a bit if the wall is uneven and use filler or plaster to repair the wall against them. I usually have my battens flush with the plaster.

With the battens firmly fixed, you need only a few small screws to fix the skirting to the battens. You have a useful gap behind the skirting where you can lay audiovisual cables, phone or internet (but not mains cable or pipes). if the skirting is to be stained and varnished, you can use brass or stainless screws. It is then very easy to take off if you're fitting laminated floor or something. Using small, countersunk screws, they can easily be filled and painted over if the skirting is to be painted.

Sponsored Links
the fixings that you need are already there, in the beds.
the wood wedges are called plugs, and all you have to do is to use same size/type of skirting as on the return wall - its either a 5" or 6" Torus.
But Torus have different profiles so get the right profile.
Just Pilot hole and screw the skirting to the plugs.

I’ve used this stuff on a Refurb , where the new Plasterwork is short of the Floorboards , it’s good as in it doesnt expand too much plus it’s as sticky as sh*t on a Blanket

Phil

Attachments

• 1CD5D56A-2BB8-4980-A00F-69A2223E80DE.jpeg
    1CD5D56A-2BB8-4980-A00F-69A2223E80DE.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 293

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back