Skirting boards on before or after board skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a loft conversion that is boarded out and ready to skim, do I put the skirting boards on over the skim, or skim up to the skirting boards ?

I need to cut holes for the double socket back boxes in the plaster board - at the moment the cable is pulled through a hole at this point, is there a method for cutting the holes in plaster board. I was thinking of using a hand held angle grinder, although the cut wont be that refined in the corners, and would have to be careful around the cable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have a loft conversion that is boarded out and ready to skim, do I put the skirting boards on over the skim, or skim up to the skirting boards ?

I need to cut holes for the double socket back boxes in the plaster board - at the moment the cable is pulled through a hole at this point, is there a method for cutting the holes in plaster board. I was thinking of using a hand held angle grinder, although the cut wont be that refined in the corners, and would have to be careful around the cable.

Thanks

Fix the skirting boards after the skim. Caulk any gap between skirting and skim, before decorating.

I have used a hand-held plasterboard saw to cut holes for back boxes; something like this:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/huge/04/040213525.jpg

Cheers
Richard

Thanks.

That looks the tool, Clarke stuff is OK.
Just Googled it ... why for every tool search does Silverline appear with a tool ? such rubbish ... not worth the paper its written on ! how do they manage to make tools so bad ...

I'm going to use the plastic type backbox, it appears to have a lip, so drawing round it to create a guide wont work, do you have a method for drawing the outline quickly ?

I'm going to use the plastic type backbox, it appears to have a lip, so drawing round it to create a guide wont work, do you have a method for drawing the outline quickly ?

Um, draw round the back of it, where the lip isn't? Am I missing something?

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Or draw round the lip and then draw a new set of lines inside the lip lines

Those alligator tooth saws can be a bit rough - I find hacksaw blades in a suitable holder work well and don't tear out the paper backing sheets so badly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back