skimming walls after paper stripped ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just going to have 3 bedrooms patched then skimmed as just rewired the house..having stripped the paper its opened a can of worms plaster falling off in patches + after taking old skirting boards off 2..rawlpugs i have also had to take out after ripping out the old dated mdf fitted wardrobes which has also led to chunks falling off around the rawlplug! silicone around the skirtings & archtrives..nightmare to be honest..struggling badly to get everything off the walls to prepare for the plasterer to skim etc what procedure should i take to get the walls ready for him ? sand the walls ? cheers :)

Sponsored Links
just going to have 3 bedrooms patched then skimmed as just rewired the house..having stripped the paper its opened a can of worms plaster falling off in patches + after taking old skirting boards off 2..rawlpugs i have also had to take out after ripping out the old dated mdf fitted wardrobes which has also led to chunks falling off around the rawlplug! silicone around the skirtings & archtrives..nightmare to be honest..struggling badly to get everything off the walls to prepare for the plasterer to skim etc what procedure should i take to get the walls ready for him ? sand the walls ? cheers :)
just take the silicone off the walls, everything else he should do, it may look like a nightmare to you but it wont to your plasterer, there may be a bit of extra work for him as in patching the holes the wallpaper stripping has left, but he should get round it no probs

Assuming the walls are lime morter render and it's all blowing when you're pulling stuff off the walls, then wet all the areas that need patching and use a wet bonding mix to fill all the large holes. I would then personally use a really strong PVA mix over all the exposed lime areas and loose bits and seal it all in before the plasterer arrives. The bits of wall paper on the walls shouldn't be an issue for the plasterer as long as it's all more or less flat

Sponsored Links
I always work on the basis, the more prep I do, the more plaster he can get on the walls :D

cox377";p="1815358 said:
Assuming the walls are lime morter render and it's all blowing when you're pulling stuff off the walls, then wet all the areas that need patching and use a wet bonding mix to fill all the large holes. I would then personally use a really strong PVA mix over all the exposed lime areas and loose bits and seal it all in before the plasterer arrives.

"The bits of wall paper on the walls shouldn't be an issue for the plasterer as long as it's all more or less flat"

It's a bloody nightmare when someone "preps" the walls when they don't know what they are doin'.And as for leaving wall paper on the wall, thats a definete No! No!...

fair enough, I guess I can't really comment.

What's the right way of prepping the wall?

fair enough, I guess I can't really comment.

What's the right way of prepping the wall?

I wasn't getting at you Coxy ;) I was just making a point that some times it is best to have a word with the plasterer you have got to do the job. He will either say," Do this or do it like that or say I will sort that out myself". I have been on a few jobs and told the customer that I will do the prep ,and told them what materials I would need. And when I have got to the job I have found that they have decided to put the boards up themselves and, not put enough screws in and too bigger joints in between the boards, and basically made more work for me and made it difficult when I have had to tell them that the price I gave them will be alot more because of what they have done!!! So I can only say is have a word with your man and take notice of what he says. ;) .

:D I see what you mean.

I always strip all the old crap off, patch up the holes, make sure everything is secure and flat and the plasterer works his magic! :)

:D I see what you mean.

I always strip all the old crap off, patch up the holes, make sure everything is secure and flat and the plasterer works his magic! :)

If you do all that then it might be time to have a go yourself...There is enough info on here for you to have a try, even if it is on a p/board in your garage ;)

yeah preped the surface so its flat pulled crumbling loose plaster off..all bits of lining paper off..fitted battens in holes in ceilings etc cleaned up in all 3 bedrooms and cleared the rooms so hes got space with no obstructions.. :D think he will appreciate that more so...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back