Skirting fitted over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing some old wallpaper from my hallway. Woodchip + painted over. Most of it came off easily. It fell off the wall -- seemed the paste had failed after 20 years or so.
The previous owners seem to have installed laminate flooring, then refitted the skirting boards so that they overlap the bottom of the wallpaper.
Hence if I want to completely strip the wallpaper I have to try to "dig it out" from behind the skirting.

Any tips. I don't really want to remove the skirting. But it is a time-consuming job otherwise.

Mike

Sponsored Links
I think I would use a sharp knife (no not to kill myself), cut careful so as you do not cut the wood, the blade will blunt as it cuts into the plaster, so you may need a few blades.

Diyisfun said:
I think I would use a sharp knife (no not to kill myself), cut careful so as you do not cut the wood, the blade will blunt as it cuts into the plaster, so you may need a few blades.

Yep......sharp knife along the top of the skirting.....then scrape down to it, then, as you said about scraping down the back of the skirting.....there must be a gap....so fill it....thus avoiding having to strip the rest of the paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back