Skirting Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just removed old skirting board, I am fitting new chamfered skirting the two internal walls are cinder block and the other two are brick.

When I removed the old skirting the timber plugs came out, shall I replace the timber plugs or would you fix the skirting using screws and sinking the heads.

What is the best way to fix to cinder block as I find that screws do not always fix to cinder the wall plugs just spin.

Any suggestions pls

Sponsored Links
pfenwick said:
What is the best way to fix to cinder block as I find that screws do not always fix to cinder the wall plugs just spin.
Gripfill, PinkGrip or expanding foam

Scrit

Masonry nails I think as this will allow the skirting to be removed easily in the future. Removed some skirting a while back and was so easy; just yanked it out of place as it was fixed with nails. Or you could use no more nails or a similar grab adhesive.

i'm of the opinion that cartridge style adhesives have their limited uses, non more so than with skirting boards, as the fixing requirements lend themselves well to an adhesive.

if you do need a mechanical fixing though, and the material you're fixing too is rather soft, use a smaller bit size than is recommended. i.e. use a 6mm bit for 7mm brown plugs. it sometimes helps if you take the drill off hammer too. 3", 10's or 12's (screw size) would be a minimum in a soft substate.

Sponsored Links
i would normally use masonry nails but if you have time and the room isnt too big, you could use a length of timber and a car jack to compress the skirting to the wall while the gripfill goes off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back