Skirts and flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK, there are two main methods of laying laminate (floating) floors viz.

(a) Use quadrant/moulding to cover the expansion gap

(b) Remove skirting and then hide the expansion gap under the skirting

In the case of option (b), what happens when you need to repair/replace the floor?

What I mean by that is are there any methods of attaching skirting which make it easier for future removal?

I am sure the answer is NO but thought I'd ask all you experts.

Thanks,

B

Sponsored Links
In the case of option (b), what happens when you need to repair/replace the floor?

What I mean by that is are there any methods of attaching skirting which make it easier for future removal?

I am sure the answer is NO but thought I'd ask all you experts.

Thanks,

B

I'm not an expert, and I've not fixed skirting with removal in mind, but I have fixed a lot of skirting. If you fix the skirting with screws and plugs, and record where the screws are before you fill the holes, you could subsequently dig the filler out and unscrew the screws. You could also put something over the screw heads before filling the holes, to avoid filling the slots with filler, which would make it easier to unscrew them in the future.

Although I have fitted skirting with Gripfill and had to remove it when making alterations, and it wasn't too hard to lever it from the wall...

Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard.

I do prefer to screw the skirting to the wall (as opposed to gripfill) and I know what you mean about being able to locate the screwholes and digging out the filler.

I was hoping there might be an alternative method to make subsequent skirting removal easier but it looks like there isn't.

Thanks agin,

B

I have a section of skirting in my shower room that I've not got round to fixing at all - that comes out easily enough :mrgreen:

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Get a decent laminate which won't need repairing.

You can cut a board out an replace one if you know how to do it.

Under the skirts looks a lot better imo so if you can I'd do that mate.

Thanks dazlight.

TBH - I was less concerned about repair than replace.

'Er indoors seems to change her mind about colour schemes/flooring/decoration every few years.

I am currently taking up laminate which I put down 8 years ago because she wants to change the room (again!!)

Therefore, I am anticipating future changes if you get my drift.

And no - it would definitely NOT be cheaper to get rid of her...

;)

Ha ha. Great answer.

Best laminate to take up an reuse is any which use the droploc system

Or quickstep

Pergo skirting systems used to be fitted onto clips which you screwed into the wall, this meant you could unclip the skirting if you needed too, it did'nt if I remember correctly, follow the profile of the wall as well as a traditionally nailed or screw and plugged fixing.

Thanks chaps,

Did see that clip-on skirting but it's expensive and the chance of finding a square wall in my house is minimal (it was built in the 50s)

Will keep the laminate suggestions in mind.

Maybe she will have run off with the milkman by the time it comes to changing it again... (some chance!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back