Fit skirting or flooring first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently stripped out my dining room, removing old laminate, skirting etc. I'm pretty set on putting solid wood flooring down, but I'm not sure if I should lay the floor first or fit skirting/architrave first.

I'm guessing putting the flooring down first is the best idea to ensure a good expansion gap, but I'm concerned about damaging the floor when fitting the skirting/architrave or getting the likes of Gripfill on the floor. Do some people fit skirting/architrave first, taking into account the expansion gap needed for the flooring they have decided on?

The other option would be to fit the skirting/architrave right on top of the floorboards, lay the flooring to the skirtings and have beading run around the skirting but I don't think that looks as good.

Sponsored Links
Flooring first.

If you are clumsy, cover it with something protective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back