Wooden floor edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could do with some advice. I'm about to put an Engineered oak floor down in my hallway. I understand there needs to be a 10mm gap at the edge of the boards for expansion. I have removed the skirting where possible but does it matter if there is no gap around the door architraves?

Sponsored Links
YES! It's just as important for there to be an expansion gap in this area too. The correct thing to do is to undercut the architrave and slip the wood under the door frame with the expansion gap hidden underneath, the alternative is to leave a gap and fill it with a coloured sealant, this risks expansion issues and does'nt look particularly nice.

Thanks alot. I take it a 10mm expansion gap is not required from skirting to the wooden floor?

Sponsored Links
If you take the skirting off, you can hide the 10mm gap under the skirting when you re-fit it. If you decide not to take the skirting off, you will need to hide the gap under beading, pinned to the base of the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back