Cutting Architrave? (for wooden flooring)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I`m laying an engineered wooden flooring in my living room and hallway. Now in the doorway in between the two rooms, do I cut the architrave straight through the bottom between both doors or do I leave some of the base of the arcitrave where the expansion gap and its threshold cover will be? I`m not sure whether I need to leave a portion of the architrave for load baring or whether its OK to cut straight through?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Second idea is normally done. (Beware of any 'hidden' nails in the architrave, ruins many a saw-blade)

vertical fool said:
1) do I cut the architrave straight through the bottom between both doors or
2) do I leave some of the base of the arcitrave where the expansion gap and its threshold cover will be?
Option 2 ;)

Sponsored Links
I`m wondering whether I`ve being using the right terms.

When I`ve said architrave I`ve meant both the wood that resembles skirting around the outside of the frame and the actual frame itself.

I completely understand cutting through the architrave as this is exactly the same as the skirting principle.

What I need to confirm is that:

Do I cut into the base of the door frame to leave a hidden expansion gap? (Question 1)

If so, I expect use a chisel, but:

Do I chisel out right through the frame to the brickwork or only enough to leave an expansion gap ( Is this still 8 to 10 mm)? (Question 2)

How much door frame would be left at the base (width not height)? (Question 3)

Thanks

Vertical

vertical fool said:
I`m wondering whether I`ve being using the right terms.
Could be my English ;)

vertical fool said:
Do I cut into the base of the door frame to leave a hidden expansion gap? (Question 1)
A 1 = yes

vertical fool said:
Do I chisel out right through the frame to the brickwork or only enough to leave an expansion gap ( Is this still 8 to 10 mm)? (Question 2)
A 2 = only enough to leave an expansion gap (still 8 - 10mm)

vertical fool said:
A 3 = Wouldn't know, depends on the thickness of the door frame itself and every door frame seems to be different (at least, that's our experience ;))

Think you're worrying a bit too much and I'm sure practice will make it more clearer.

vertical fool wrote:

A 3 = Wouldn't know, depends on the thickness of the door frame itself and every door frame seems to be different (at least, that's our experience )

I mean when I`ve cut through the doorframe, doing so on both sides because I`m laying on both sides. Wouldn`t this leave a small piece of the frame untouched where the threshhold will be.

As I`m typing this I`m thinking that if I`m doing both siides of the doorway and the doorframe is lets say 10mm thick (hypothetical). Then I would have to chisel all of the doorframe leaving none of the wooden frame around the base. The frame would then be entirely supported by its fixings to the wall and unsupported by the floor?

I feel like I owe you a drink! So Thanks!

Vertical

vertical fool said:
I feel like I owe you a drink! So Thanks!
Feel free :LOL:

You must have very thin door frames me thinks? We have never encountered any problems with 'sacking' door frames after we cut under them to install the floor, hope this will set your mind at peace.

When I said 10 mm doorframes , I was thinking therotically.

So, if the frames were 10mm thick the i would have no door frame left.

but

If the door frames were 20 mm thick then I`m thinking I would have 10 mm (depth) of door frame still left, well if my chiseling is perfect.

Thanks

lay a piece of flooring upside down on top of the underlay
and saw the arcatrave and frame

the frame should be at least 20mm and fully supported even if you cut right through unless its been bodged ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back