architrave cut too high for floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new engineered wood floor throughout my flat, undercutting the architrave and fitting new skirting. My first attempts to cut the architrave with an undercutting saw were a little too high for the floor, though I got much more accurate in keeping to the line as I became more practised.

I wonder what I can do to fill in those gaps where the architrave is too high - biggest gap 3cm. Can I buy a length of architrave and slice it laterally to fit? If so, what is the best way of fixing it in place? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
IF you can match the architrave, you might be able to glue a bit to the bottom using Mitre Bond but 3mm is a bit fiddly. I would grease a bit of card with Vaseline or similar to stop the filler sticking slip it into the gap flat on the floor and use several layers of wood filler to build up the missing bit then sand and paint.

With luck the card will slip out if not just trim it off flush with a craft knife.

Mind you if the architrave is stained or varnished the only way to get it right would be to replace the architrave itself.

Or you could ignore it I doubt anyone will notice unless you point it out! ;)

Sponsored Links
offcut off flooring on top off a bit off underlay
rest the blade flat on the floor offcut and away you go within 1mm ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back