Skoda Fabia 2007 repair or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My water pump has failed and the cam belt has become loose.
The engine ticks over, but makes a hell of a racket, and I havent dare move it.

A chap came out to look at it, opened the bonnet for about 30 seconds and said it needed a whole new engine. He suggested it wasnt worth it and I should scrap.

Has anyone else had these issues and considering its value, is the above assumption correct?
thk

Sponsored Links
Show picture of the engine. If it looks like a disaster then the assumption is correct.

Water pump and Cambelt failure is almost certainly major engine damage.

Get another opinion maybe but without looking at it, unless the car is generally in very good condition then the advice given sounds about right

Difficult to guess at really, if the engine runs then it may be worth removing the belt covers and seeing whats happened.
Dont run it anymore though.

Sponsored Links
'Loose' timing belt is bad news - I'm surprised it'll run at all, even without valve damage. Shouldn't need a whole new engine unless something below the head has an issue.

An AA recovery guy once told me my engine was knackered - it actually needed a new hydraulic tappet costing £5. Further investigation should uncover whether a new engine is needed and, crucially, why.

The only thing you can really do is to replace the pump if it’s so knackered, set the timing up and see how the engine runs.
You could have some bent valves......who knows?
An exchange cylinder head could be the way to go, but keep an eye on the piggy bank! Do plenty of research first.
John

It's almost guaranteed to be an interference engine - as far as I know all 16v engines are.
It's unlikely for all of the valves to be bent so a start up and listen for a misfire is the usual way to go - or give it a compression test whilst cranking on the starter.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back