Skoda Octavia Elegance III 1.6 Diesel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my cabin heater in my 4 year old car.

The heater blows cold for longer than it should, and after an extended period is hardly warm. It use to be excellent. I am losing coolant somewhere, but there re no tracks around the "header tank" (?). Even after topping, the problem persists, so I suspect this is unrelated.

Can anyone give me any pointers, please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sound like your car has a 'Air Lock' in the heater circuit.

Check to see if there is a vent valve in the heater piping (it will be high under the bonnet); if there is turn the heater temp control to maximum, with cold engine fill the header tank with coolant and replace cap. start engine and allow to warm through, once at normal temp gradually open the vent valve, when liquid come out close it and should solve your problem...

No vent valve - then it involves taking heater hoses off and clearing the system... But you need to resolve the leak issue first.

Sponsored Links
The heater system should self bleed if all is well.
Looking at the temperature gauge (if fitted), does the car take a long time to warm up? This could indicate a thermostat problem, if its stuck open.
Hold the heater pipes - are they red hot?
Regarding the coolant leak, you'll need to release the shield from under the car. Check for hose connections to the radiator, and also for coolant traces around the crankshaft pulley.....coolant leaks from the water pump aren't unknown!
John :)

Back