Country
Ireland
Make - Skoda
Model - Yeti Greenline
Engine size/Type - 1.6 Diseal
Year - 2012
Mileage - 160,0000 km

Hi Folks,

My Skoda Yeti 1.6 Greenline 2012 has a coolant leak.
I have probably put 2 Litres of coolant into her since Christmas Eve.

It was due a service in any case, so I decided to go ahead, change the oil and filter and see if I could spot the problem along the way.A mechanic is going to fix this for me in anycase, but I hate to bring a car to any mechanic with out an idea of the problem I am dealing with.

After I put the Yeti up on the ramp, it was clear there was a lot of fluid sitting on the engine's underside cover.

IMG_20161230_091848.jpg

The lining on the sump was saturated with coolant. The coolant is dripping down the slide of the engine block behind, what I think is the timing belt. I could see roughly where it was coming from but not source, this is a pretty decent photo of it.

IMG_20161230_100039.jpg

So it doesn't appear to be a loose pipe or radiator, could anyone throw more light on the problem for me.

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Sure can, Ray.....the water pump is driven by the timing belt, and it will be leaking along its shaft. These pumps are good for 100k miles but must be renewed with the timing belt.
John :)

Thanks John,

Confirmed what I expected - I heard that might be the problem, should I have got a new belt at 100k?

Ray K

For sure, that's how long the belt is designed to last.....personally I think its stretching it a bit (pun intended!) and prefer to play safe around the 80k mark.
Included with the belt kit should be a water pump, tensioner and guide pulley. Replace the alternator belt at the same time.
The trade price is around the ton usually but then there's coolant on top.

Sponsored Links
Some places sell a complete kit but not all. Personally id go for a gates timing belt kit and nothing but an oem pump or known equivalent, as some can be a problem.
Ive had a couple of non oem vag pumps start to leak a few weeks later only to have to do the job again.
Be careful if you see a gates or similar complete kit listed that includes the pump as normally the pump will be a cheaper alternative.

Are you driving the car in the meantime? I'd be concerned that if the pump bearings are well worn, the timing belt could jump a notch or more

I specify Gates replacement timing belt kits, and I was happy to see the pump that was included was also a Gates one so on it went.
I still don't like those VW tensioners, particularly!

Sponsored Links
Back