SKY+ ADDING OR SPLITING CABLES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have sky+ multiroom lite(ie one other room)this goes to my sons room but now my daughters sky is now recieving no signal this one runs from a diffrent dish, i was wondering if it would be possible to either run another cable from the dish i use or split the cable and run one to her sky box.
thanks for any help and advice :confused:

Sponsored Links
Splitting the cable won't work. Your son and daughter's boxes would be fighting for control of the signal from the dish.

You need direct cables from the dish to each Sky box. A standard Sky box needs one cable. A Sky + box needs two. If you have a Sky+ box installed then the engineers will have put in an LNB on the end of your satellite dish that has sockets for 4 cables. You could run one Sky+ and two standard Sky boxes from that one LNB.

What you will need though is three Sky viewing cards; one per box. These don't have to be full Sky subscriptions. You have multi-room so you have at least two subscribed cards. The third could be a freeview card (a one-off fee of £20 I think) which gets you the Freeview channels that Sky broadcast.

If you wanted to give your daughter access to the subscribed channels without paying for another subscription then there is another option. You can run an aerial wire from RF2 on the back of a Sky box to your daughters TV. She would then use a Sky eye to control the other Sky box. You can even control the Sky+ features from the 'other' room. The catch is that the TVs in both rooms can only watch the same channel. If all three of you wanted to watch different subscribed channels then this wouldn't work.

Sky did connect my Sky+ box to the output cable from my "Free to Air" satellite box and it was a complete mess up and after 6 visits from Sky in the end they fitted another dish.

I have one Sky+ box with two digi eyes one in each bed room plus "Free to Air boxes. In the main they work well but sometimes the digi eye goes crazy and starts a program scan which it will not then stop and I wonder if the two eyes upset each other?

Freeview if terrestrial and nothing to do with Satellite.
Free to Air is satellite without inscription
Free to View is as free to air plus half a dozen programs which are restricted to UK residents so need a card with one off subscription and so also need a receiver able to take the card. To get the box able to take the card means it also costs a lot more unless you already have old Sky box.

So to get Free to View costs around double to three times the cost of a Free to Air box but also often have the Sky EPG numbers and 7 day guide this is often missing from Free to Air boxes.

Free to Air boxes can receive programs from other than Astra and also more are available even on Astra. You can also delete the programs you don't want and change the order so you don't need to wade through all the encrypted programs you can't get or all the sex and shopping channels.

Over last few years less and less programs fall into the Free to View list that are not in Free to Air list. Channel 4 and Channel 5 are now both Free to Air.

I have two quad LNB's one feeds the Sky+ box the other the Free to Air boxes as Sky would not go on roof to replace original cable so fitted a second dish. Seems they can only work on a sloping roof if it has an apex as their crawling ladders have no way to retain them unless there is an apex. Even though they fitted it in first place.

Note using RF to view Sky in many rooms when using a digi eye need a splitter/booster with DC through so it can work digi eye not all splitter/boosters will work with digi eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back