Sky/Sky+ remotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just upgraded to Sky+ from standard Sky. We've always had a co-ax cable running from the Sky box to the TV in our room upstairs (not Sky Multiroom) and we've got a IR eye upstairs and a second remote so we can change the Sky channel from upstairs. Now we've got Sky+ we've got two remotes for normal Sky that are no use. Does anyone know if we can reprogramme the Sky remotes so they'll operate the Sky+ box? I know they wont control the play, rewind, record etc... functions of Sky+ but if we could get one of the old ones to just let us change channel upstairs it'd save us having to get a new Sky+ remote!?!

Sponsored Links
No, the old sky remotes will not work with sky+.

Have you still got the old sky box or did you get sky+ upstairs too?

If you have a sky+ box downstairs you can also get upstairs wired so that you can watch what is being watched on the downstairs box - upstairs also have the old box to act as a freesat box giving you 220+ channels.

If you no longer have the old box then the remotes are useless to you and I'd suggest offering them on your local Realcycle or Freecycle group where someone will want to reuse them.

I seem to remember you could change it in similar way to tuning in TV but blue and select and then enter 1 or 2 depending if for + or standard.

Seem to remember trying it and original remote from Sky changed over but second remote didn't.

Just found
How to program your SKY PLUS remote to control regular SKY DIGITAL

SKY Plus Remote

It is perfectly possible for the SKY Plus remote control to operate a regular SKY digibox with a simple procedure. The reasons for wanting to do this are that the SKY Plus controller is a more comprehensive unit and is also able to control the volume / Mute of not only a television, but also a selected number of AV amplifiers. This is excellent news for thos of you with a home cinema setup.

For SKY PLUS > SKY DIGITAL, Press:
TV • Yellow & Select until LED flashes twice • 0 • Select • Sky

To reset back for normal SKY PLUS operation, Press:
TV • Yellow & Select until LED flashes twice 1 • Select • Sky

Not sure if will work not tried it.

Have you still got the old sky box or did you get sky+ upstairs too?

We have got the old box, but its no use - only upgraded to Sky+ because the old box had had it (it was 10yrs old!)

Cheers for the replies, will give the process a try but it seems as though we'll have to get a new remote for Sky+ and find a new home for the old Sky remote.

Sponsored Links
Our old Sky box is more like 16 years old we had Sky when kids were at school and we too changed as we though it was on it's last legs.

However in bedroom with shorter cable from LNB to dish it works fine and my wife uses it as she like to know what channel to use. I use a free to air box which also has some advantages and also some draw backs.

Having said that with digi-eye there is no real need although in middle of program when some one in another room changes channel not the best option. So with Sky+ near all programs we watch are recorded first and free to air are used for live TV.

At the moment a filter in my TV outlet stops me using digi-eye in my room but I think once that is changed I will move the free to air box down stairs so it can be used with stand alone Hard drive recorder.

Our old Sky box is more like 16 years old
But Sky digital has only been around since October 1998... unless you have an old analogue box which will have stopped receiving "sky" channels in 2001 and only receiving analogue channels, which there isn't many of anymore I think...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back