Sky Engineer said LNB get damaged by channel surfing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on my 4th sky decoder box from Sky and my viewing is still intermittent with the box eventually hanging or saying 'no satellite signal'.

On the last visit the engineer changed the LNB and when I tested the new LNB with the box he put in I was pressing the channel up button to check the channels. The engineer asked do I always change the channels like that and I said "No, I'm only doing it as the box you have put in doesn't have any favourites" and asked him why he was asking the question. The engineer then stated that the LNB can't keep up with the channels shifting so quickly and if this was done then the LNB would get damaged.

If this true? Surely if that was the case the firmware in the box would have something in to detect the channel change requests were coming in too fast and slow the requests down before they hit the LNB?

Well I can always ask the next engineer who is coming on Wednesday to check the disk and cables!

Sponsored Links
if thats true we should be on oor umpteenth LNB by now, but we still have the same one

Lol

My parents have had sky digi since 2000 and are on the same lnb and dish.
My mum is notoriois for channel surfing :mad:

The lnbs do switch polarity but i've only seen one damaged by power surges or water ingress

Sponsored Links
The old mechanical LNB's could get worn out by constant switching of channels but they were replaced by solid state lnb's a long time ago.

What were the symptoms you were having before the no signal message?

Were you getting constant pixellation of the picture on some channels?

What were the symptoms you were having before the no signal message?

Were you getting constant pixellation of the picture on some channels?

tim west, I dont suppose the OP cares, since he asked the question in April, never came back to this post, and stopped posting in August

This was a public informtion post

Shan't wait for a reply then ;)

Well actually yes I was getting pixellation (if that is what blocky pictures are) on some channels, gradually over time it was more and more channels.

Sky came and replaced the box, which was ok for 24 hours then the same happened again, so they replaced the box again, same problem so they replaced the LNB, same issue and I insisted on a brand new box which solved the problem.

Shan't wait for a reply then ;)

Well actually yes I was getting pixellation (if that is what blocky pictures are) on some channels, gradually over time it was more and more channels.

Sky came and replaced the box, which was ok for 24 hours then the same happened again, so they replaced the box again, same problem so they replaced the LNB, same issue and I insisted on a brand new box which solved the problem.
The first batches of boxes had inferior power supply components, one half of the dual rail supplies capacitors would swell up and fail this caused pixellation on some channels and not others, later boxes had the power supplies "beefed up".
Happened on my thompson HD box one of the first made.

I only ever got pixellation on the adult channels, but that may have been my particular susbscription package :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back