Sky Satalite installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say that I was not impressed with the mess that the sky installers made when they installed Sky TV.
Is it common practice in a situation where you have the dish at the back of the house but the 2 sky plus boxes in the rooms at the front of the house to throw the cables over the roof and then run them down the outsides of the walls and into the rooms ?.

I came home from work to find that the guys who installed Sky had mounted the dish on the back.. No problem with that. But then literally just threw the cables over the top of the house which means the cables go over the guttering on the front and back. The cable is black and I also have black guttering, but then they cable tied one of the cables to my black down pipe with white cable ties and the other with white cable ties to my BT wire.
Both times they didn’t even bother to cut off the excess of the cable tie.

Two questions for people in the know !.

1) Is this standard practice ?.
2) I decided that I couldn’t be bother to get them back in and I would reroute the cables myself. So I unscrewed the 4 connectors from the Disk. Removed all the cable ties and started back at the front. Routed the wires under the guttering and into the loft, across the loft and out the other side, under he guttering again. Tidied up all the wiring, remade the connectors on the end (using the originals but a better job), plugged in, reset boxes and tested. All works fine, but I'm just wondering If I've somehow invalidated my warrenty by doing this ?.

Sponsored Links
they are sub contractors , x number of jobs to do in a day, lucky it wasnt raining they dont turn up, yes it is normal to do that, yes its bad practise, but as i said they have x number to do / day, no that doesnt justify it but then i am not the one who employs them or works for them. seen it done lots of times though.

I beleive the reason is because the contractor gets a small token figure per install. I think its £35. WHat did you pay installation fee?

They obviosly have to do a few a day to make it pay, and thats what happens. As above it isnt good practice but i have seen a few the same way, i suppose the alternative is to pay em to install it.

The installer will refuse to run any cables through the loft. The information you get from Sky will say this also.

Often rather that put the disk on the back of the house they will mount it to the chimney stack if you have one at additional expense to you, or on a pole attached to the front of the house again at additional expense. Using the pole at the front also means the signal has to go through the roof of the house which reduces the signal when wet.

Overall you probably have the best mounting. Warrenty should remain fine apart from the cable you re-routed. If you have problems and the signal from the LNB is good but too weak at the other end of the cable they will probably refuse to fix it but any other problems they will fix under warrenty.

P.S Never take out an extended warrenty. Most people who cold call you saying they are phoning about your sky box going out of warrenty are not sky. Even out of warrenty Sky charge £65 for a call out which is cheaper than the insurance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm going to be painting the house later this week if it's not raining. So I'll be making good the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back