Sky Satellite Dish Installation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a satellite dish on the side gable wall of my house (left side looking out the front).
The required direction is virtually straight toward the front (maybe a degree or two to the left (away from the house.
The problem is that I have a roof step out over the wall - tile, fascia and soffit. This is about 200mm away from the wall.

Am I correct that I need to step the satellite out from the wall so the full dish is away from the roof so the edge of the dish is 200mm away from the wall.

If so, assuming the dish is 800mm wide, I would need a 600mm long bar (200mm plus 400mm to the centre of the dish.

Can anyone recommend an extension bar for this?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It makes sense. I am just wondering though if you would need it. The satellite for Sky sits quite low to the horizon.

It surprises many, including some dish installers in the early days, but a dish does not have to be mounted high at all, apart from to be able to see over walls, hedges and trees. My home dish is mounted on the side of a single storey utility room, reachable with a step ladder. The dish I use in my tourer caravan is ground mounted.

In your case - it sounds as if the lower you locate your dish, the closer it can be mounted to the wall, without extra stand-off brackets - but all of the width of the dish needs to have full 'sight' of the satellite. Could you maybe clamp the dish to a ladder, in the proposed location, then check the signal strength on the receiver, or buy a cheap signal meter?

Sponsored Links
Should be ok, mine sits so low on wall cannot be seen from street over fence.Just needs clear line of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back