slab q's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

got a couple of q's please.

i have prepped for an internal slab, but its looking a little shallow in places, 11-14 cm, i was aiming for 10cm concrete plus 4cm screed, just thinking that it may be best to do concrete up to floor level (-5 ml) then use a self leveling compound instead of a screed. Is this ok as an option?

also done my shuttering with insulation but its not all level around the edge, (some pieces higher than finished floor level some about right). do i need trim it all to level or is their an easy way to get levels from withing the base? would prefer this as triming the sides will be ok untill pour goes in and the insulation boards move!
I was thinking of using some heavy bricks, line and spirit within the base to get the pour to correct hight, again ok?

cheers

truman

Sponsored Links
How wide is the room?

You have insulation underneath, right?

You can trowel the concrete flat and bin the screed, but this takes skill (know any plasterers?) You could just use slc if you wish.

minus 5 MilliLitres won't make a lot of difference
:LOL:

cheers,

room is 13ft by 14ft,

yes celotex underneath,

think you guessed i meant 5cm not 5ml! oops.

so how long to wait before troweling? is it easier to get as flat as poss then pore on a self leveling when dry than try to get perfect finish in the concrete?

ts

so how long to wait before troweling? is it easier to get as flat as poss then pore on a self leveling when dry than try to get perfect finish in the concrete?

Probably the best bet.

Fixing timber battens to the wall to mark the concrete level will give you a guide to work to. A 6ft level to check the floor as you go along is a must.

Sponsored Links
Using a floor levelling carries risks so be prepared for failure.

For example, if you decided you did not like a particular floor covering that was stuck to the levelling compound and ripped it up, it is highly likely the levelling compound will come with it.

It is a quick fix low quality item but serves a purpose.

If you want longevity then either trowel finish the concrete or screed the floor properly.

thanks guys,

done the pour this aft, left an inch short and going to trim the side insulation down and do a proper screed over the lot.

I havent found much info on how to finish the edges and small void to wall.

I have (from centre of room to wall) concrete, dpm,insulation,dpm,small (+1 inch) void, wall. should i screed over the top of the insulation and down into the void or do i need a different product for the void. nb i have no dpc to tie the dpm into so should it just come up and be cut off at floor surface level or tucked in somewhere?

cheers
ts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back