Slate Floor Tiles On Floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've seen some rustic slate floor tiles we'd love for the kitchen, where the flooring is wooden boards (well, wooden sheeting from the looks of things). I was chatting to a guy in work about putting down slate floors, and he thought that even with flexible adhesive, you can't put slate floor tiles onto wooden floorboards as the uneven sizes of them would cause all sorts of problems.

Ain't been able to get a hold of our tiler, so anyone any ideas if this is the case?

Ta
Phil

Sponsored Links
It's not a problem as long as the floor is suitably strengthened.

Assuming you have traditional floorboards you can do one of the following:-

1/ Remove the floorboards back to the joists and fit 25mm WBP ply, tile directly onto this.

2/ Remove floorboards and fit 18mm ply, then overlay this with Aquapanel, glued and screwed to the plywood using rapidset flexible adhesives.

3/ Fit aquapanel over the existing floorboards if they are stable enough using same spec as 2/

4/ If the floorboards are in a state of disrepair but can't be stripped back to the joists, then fit 9mm ply over the boards, screweed to the floorboards, then fit aquapanel over this as per 2/ making sure the screws go through the ply and into the floorboards for maximum stability.

Then use fleible adhesives and grout and make sure you seal the slate with the appropriate sealers.

Sponsored Links
:) Legs asked me to post the PVA thing on a thread, I have no idea half these sites exist, that's three now I have to check daily!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back